5 criteria to consider when buying a smartphone

We all have a different way of using our smartphone, and therefore choose it. Some people only want to be able to communicate through calls or text and multimedia messages. Others use it to surf the internet, take pictures, listen to music, watch movies or television. Others consume multiple applications; games, utilities, GPS, social networks…

This is why the choice of a smartphone is necessarily personal and the criteria vary from one person to another.

You will find below the generic criteria to determine which phone to choose, remember to note the ones that are the most decisive for you:

The design

The first person to have put appearance and design at the heart of new technologies was Steve Jobs, who thought that by streamlining devices and making the elements more beautiful and simpler, the use would be improved. And indeed, the smartphone having become an everyday object, it was essential to make it design to allow its democratization.

Because beyond having a functional device, users want to have an aesthetic smartphone, modern, attractive, facilitating the use with a worked ergonomics and allowing you to differentiate from others. This is why many manufacturers offer different colors today. However, the choice of materials and components used affects the final price.

The screen

The touch screen is the standard for smartphones. It is then possible to use the screen for display, keyboard and pointing functions. The technologies used are diverse and they do not have the same advantages.

A distinction must be made between the manufacturing technologies and the display technologies of the screen, although the two are closely linked. The size, resolution, touch responsiveness of the screen, color management and brightness will be elements to study when buying your smartphone.

In general, high-end products will be equipped with a better quality screen. However, some manufacturers offer quality screens for all their phones.

The interface

The mobile operating system (OS) has a central role in the functioning of a smartphone. Today, nearly 80% of smartphones are running Android. The remaining 20% are shared between Apple’s iOS, Windows Phone and other independent OS. The main characteristics that separate them are:

  • The ease of use of the interfaces
  • Fluidity and speed of navigation
  • Data management and wireless connectivity
  • Available applications

Performance

This is a question of R&D specific to equipment manufacturers. It is a question of proposing increasingly powerful and high-performance products to consumers. 3 elements are particularly important:

The processor, measured in megahertz (MHz), can be composed of one to eight cores. The multiplicity of the cores makes it possible to increase the number of processed information.

The RAM, also called Random Access Memory, is the fast access and volatile computer memory. The more RAM you have, the more tasks your smartphone can perform and the more applications you can run simultaneously.

The internal memory is the actual memory on which you can save your files and multimedia folders. The majority of smartphone models offer the possibility of saving on a removable memory, the microSD card that you can buy alongside the device.

The battery

Battery life is now one of the most important criteria when buying a smartphone. The challenge for manufacturers is to increase the battery capacity while minimizing its size and increasing the overall performance of the phone.

They are made of lithium-ion and the index is given in milliamperes (mAh). They can be removable or not, and the charging time can vary from one model to another.

In any case, it is recommended to take a battery of more than 2000 mAh and to check the duration of autonomy in multimedia use and during communication. It is indeed the processor that uses the most energy. Thus, entry-level or mid-range smartphones generally have a longer autonomy because the components are less powerful.